Thursday 13 September 2018

Mortem et Gloriam - Game 12 - 2018/09/13

Greetings!

My next game was against the most recent overall winner of WinterCon 2018 - Stephen! It was a fantastic opportunity for me because it is always  great to learn from the best. I even thought that I may play against Stephen after day 1 at WinterCon but it was not to be.

Stephen brought his favorite Arab Conquest, the army that he used so effectively at the tournament. Once again, I was about to face the faction I have never played before. I knew I was about to learn a lot for sure!

One of the interesting aspects of Stephen's army is that he does not have Skirmishers. At least not dedicated ones, as some of the units are Flexible. That creates a very interesting force that has quite a high break point. Another element that was very intriguing was the fact that he had two Talented generals. Here are the details of the army although I need to apologize as I do not remember all of the aspects. In particular, I cannot recall which if any of his cavalry units were Superior. For time being I am assuming they were not and I am going to correct it if it was not the case:

Arab Conquest - Army List

Commanders
 
Army Commander - Talented Professional
Subordinate General 1 - Talented Professional
Subordinate General 2 - Competent Professional
Subordinate General 3 - Mediocre Professional

Camp

Camp - Mobile, Average

TuG's

4 Jund Cavalry, Cavalry, Formed Loose, Average, Protected, Long Spear 
4 Jund Cavalry, Cavalry, Formed Loose, Average, Protected, Long Spear 
4 Jund Cavalry, Cavalry, Formed Loose, Average, Protected, Long Spear  
6 Bedouin Cavalry, Cavalry, Formed Flexible, Average, Unprotected, Long Spear
4 Bedouin Cavalry, Cavalry, Formed Flexible, Average, Unprotected, Long Spear

6 Jund Infantry, Infantry, Formed Close, Superior, Protected, Shieldwall 
6 Jund Infantry, Infantry, Formed Close, Superior, Protected, Shieldwall 
6 Jund Infantry, Infantry, Formed Close, Superior, Protected, Shieldwall  
6 Jund Infantry, Infantry, Formed Close, Superior, Protected, Shieldwall 
6 Jund Infantry, Infantry, Formed Close, Superior, Protected, Shieldwall  

4 Asawira, Cavalry, Formed Loose, Superior, Protected, Experienced, Bow
6 Dailami, Average, Drilled Flexible, Average, Protected, Devastating Chargers

Twelve TuG's and break point six means that this army can take some punishment and keep fighting anyway. In fact, one way of looking at it is that it has to lose either entire Infantry or Cavalry contingent to be defeated. On its own it already posed a significant challenge.

It did not quite seem to me that my army has any particular advantage over the opponent. Similar number of infantry TuG's, much fewer Cavalry and significantly lower break point made me think I am actually at a disadvantage. I must admit that I did not quite have a plan (not a good start at all!) and the best I came up with is to keep the infantry together and cavalry in the second line to protect the flanks. I was hoping that perhaps with the terrain set I would get some more ideas on how to proceed further.

I also made a small change in my list in comparison to what I had at the most recent event. I replaced Thracians with Line Cavalry. Main reason being that I was not able to use Thracians well and I thought that one more unit of heavy cavalry would suit me better.

Seleucids - Army List

Commanders

Army Commander - Talented Professional
Subordinate General 1 - Competent Professional
Subordinate General 2 - Competent Professional
Subordinate General 3 - Mediocre Professional

 
Camp

Camp - Average, Protected
TuGs

8 Argyraspides - Infantry, Drilled Close, Superior, Protected, Pike, Shove
8 Phalangites - Infantry, Drilled Close, Average, Protected, Pike, Shove
8 Phalangites - Infantry, Drilled Close, Average, Protected, Pike, Shove
8 Phalangites - Infantry, Drilled Close, Average, Protected, Pike, Shove
8 Phalangites - Infantry, Drilled Close, Average, Protected, Pike, Shove


4 Companions - Cavalry, Drilled Loose, Superior, Protected, Charging Lancer, Melee Expert
4 Line Cavalry - Cavalry, Drilled Loose, Average, Protected, Charging Lancer, Melee Expert
4 Line Cavalry - Cavalry, Drilled Loose, Average, Protected, Charging Lancer, Melee Expert

SuG's

6 Javelinmen - Infantry, Skirmisher, Poor, Unprotected, Javelin, Experienced, Combat Shy
6 Javelinmen - Infantry, Skirmisher, Poor, Unprotected, Javelin, Experienced, Combat Shy
6 Tarentine Cavalry - Cavalry, Skirmisher, Average, Protected, Javelin, Experienced, Cantabrian
6 Cretan Archers - Infantry, Skirmisher, Average, Unproteced, Bow, Skilled, Combat Shy

Pre-Battle

I thought that being an invader may help me. Being the active player turn 1 may have a small advantage of moving full block of the Phalangites at a double forward. But I quickly realized that giving the opportunity to choose the starting terrain point to the opponent may have far reaching consequences.

Stephen simply chose bottom right corner on the matrix, i.e. plains with nothing on the secure flank. It didn't change much through 5 days because I kept some of the good cards for outscouting while Stpehen played his best to stay in the terrain of his choosing. That was definitely an interesting new lesson.

I did outscout him, however, so I hoped that this element would give me a bit of a help in trying to create a viable plan for the battle.

Deployment

Seleucids vs Arab Conquest

Deployment of the Armies

We ended up with two pieces of terrain only, a hill and rough going terrain in my half. That immediately created another challenge as it would possibly divide my army in two. What is more, as we had no secure flank my Camp had to be within 6BW of Center Rear. These two elements meant I could not quite deploy my Camp towards either flanks and form refused flank formation. I either had to stay closer to the center or abandon the Camp.

Outscouting did not help either. Stephen deployed mainly infantry in the center first and kept his Jund and Bedouin cavalries until I placed my units. Hence I decided to focus on one flank anyway, keep skirmishers in rough terrain and some cavalry on flanks. Companions were to be a mobile reserve. However, when Stephen deployed his cavalry on the opposite flank to my Phalangites, I knew I am in trouble and that I have been out-deployed. 

Seleucids - Turn 1

Turn 1 - Sequence of Actions.

Single Cavalry Units slows down half of the Seleucids army.

Both armies started what seemed to be out-flanking maneuvers. However, while super fast Arab cavalry covered the ground unopposed, Seleucid Phalangites were already successfully slowed down by a single unit of Asawira.

Seleucid Cavalry started a rapid redeployment to reinforce right flank before it is overrun by more numerous enemy cavalry.

Arab cavalry outflanks the enemy.

Arabs - Turn 2

Turn 2 - Sequence of Actions.

Bedouins are on the flank already.

Seleucid Phalangites continued their slow advance while the skirimishers nearby moved forward to intercept Dailami. At the same time, Bedouin Cavalry was already on the flank of the Seleucid army with Jund Cavalry following closely. Seleucids managed to get their own cavalry a bit closer but it was still not grouped together.

Seleucid Army is gradually losing coherence of formation.

Seleucids - Turn 3

Turn 3 - Sequence of Actions.


Go back! Protect the Camp!

Argyraspides and two TuG's of Phalangites kept chasing the enemy cavalry but two remaining TuG's of Seleucids Pikemen decided it is time to come back and make sure the Camp is not sacked. Altough the cavalry managed to regroup, they were still outnumbered and it was not clear they can hold the enemy at bay.

Shifting towards the right flank.

Arabs - Turn 4

Turn 4 - Sequence of Actions.

Bedouins charge first.

After maneuvering around enemy flanks, Bedouin Cavalry finally attacked the enemy. Tarentine Cavalry held, hoping that Line Cavalry and Companions can come to the rescue.

Asawira Cavalry cleared out skirmishers so that Dailami could move into rough terrain in between two groups of Seleucid units. And finally, seeing the enemy in disarray, Jund Infantry started approaching Phalangites, even more outnumbered in this area of the battle field.

First fights on the right flank.

Seleucids - Turn 5

Turn 5 - Sequence of Actions.

Chaotic fight in the middle of the battle field.

Bedouin Cavalry pressed further and Taentines finally broke. That opened the path towards the Camp but also endangered the rear of the Seleucids cavalry that was now engaged in a fight against their Arab counterparts.

Dailami too closed towards the exposed flank of the enemy units. Companions maneuvered to intercept them. However, fighting in rough terrain would be far from ideal for the Seleucid finest.

Meanwhile, two TuG's of Phalangites had to start back pedaling to avoid being outflanked by Jund Infantry.

It all did not look promising so they used the opportunity of the fast approaching night to disengage and save themselves from the utter defeat.

Seleucids were completely outmaneuvered this time.

After-battle

Many thanks to Stephen for a great game where I definitely learned a lot! Hopefully these lessons will help me to come up with much better plan next time!

My own impression is that with every step I simply either made more mistakes or could not escape the consequences of those made earlier. It started with bad decision after the first roll which amazing to realize because it shows how every single choice can have far reaching consequences.

It is not always possible to choose the battle field but I should have grasped that opportunity when I won the roll off and should have elected to be a defender. In this way I could choose the terrain better, maybe even with a coastal line as a secure flank that seems to help my army.

Next, it may be a good idea to use good cards to move the battle field to more suitable terrain, especially that it seems I would need a huge advantage in outscouting in order to force Stephen to show where his cavalry goes.

Now how should I have deployed considering these circumstances? I guess having Phalangites on both sides of the rough terrain would have been better. I think keeping the skirmishers in the middle was not too bad idea in itself, perhaps they should have stayed there for longer instead of moving out to the open where they were eventually caught by Asawira.

I need to come up with the good idea how to use my own, less numerous cavalry well in such match up too. 

I was truly impressed by Stephens maneuvering. First, a single unit of Asawira with Mediocre commander was superb. Not only it immediately slowed down my infantry as it did not allow it to move at a double but then perfectly evaded the danger. To get rid of the skirmishers in the meantime and then come back to harass the Argyraspides again. Their bows that slow down the enemy further are also a great bonus.

Bedouin Cavalry is very good too. They started the game as skirmishers that hugely improved their maneuverability and they crossed the battle field in no time. Later on they reformed to Loose formation and that was also dangerous when they approached my own forces from the flank or rear.

Another element I liked a lot was how Stephen used Dailami. A single unit but how important and how well they used their flexible formation to get into the rough going terrain to threaten the flanks of my units. First time I didn't take Thracians and I missed them already!

Due to bad decisions in pre-game stage and at the deployment, I found quickly I simply react to Stephen's maneuvers. Never a good thing. Half of his army still outmaneuvered my whole force and made it dance as they pleased. Then at the right moment the Jund infantry moved forward to join the fight. 

We could not finish one more round as the shop was closing soon but I think Stephen had this game already. Perhaps I would be able to inflict some casualties but I was not in a position to stop him. And I needed to lose only 4 TuG's to break.

Once again, many thanks to Stephen for a great display of skills, I am glad I could learn so many valuable lessons in this game!

Thanks for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment