I can't believe it is almost March! Time flies, seemingly faster with every passing year. However, the good thing about March is that we are about to embark on yet another painting challenge, fourth year in a row!
What is Monster March? In short, it is a painting challenge where you choose one big model from your collection and paint it during entire month. It's the opportunity to paint that centre piece of your collection that perhaps was waiting a bit long for you to start working on it. Or maybe you have just got a great model and can't wait to paint it! Whatever the reason and whatever the model (although the bigger the better!), it is your opportunity to enjoy painting and sharing progress on weekly basis with other participants.
To have a better idea what it may look like, here are the links to the Monster March challenges from previous years:
If you are interested, please continue to learn about a few more details on how to join!
How to join?
You can join the challenge by contacting me on Email: firstname.lastname@example.org - it is usually the most convenient way of sending pictures of your models. However, feel free to let me know either by FB or Twitter if you like.
What miniature can I paint?
Although the initial idea was about fantasy monsters (hence the name!) there are no restrictions. As you can see, in the previous years the participants painted all sort of models. The main goal for me is to encourage you to paint something big!
The plan is to keep painting every week and share the progress on the weekly basis. I will post an update, usually on Sunday, to give every participant time to paint, take a few snapshots and collect it all for the update.
You can join at any stage, even during the last week! You can enter with the model you have already started to paint as well! The challenge should provide great opportunity to finish painting the model. For those who are going to bring a new model to the challenge, here are weekly goals that in the past proved to help organise time and finish the project in time:
1. Start and presentation of the participants - I will be collecting information on who is participating and with what model until Saturday 29th February so that I can launch the challenge on Sunday, 1st of March! I will also inform if there are any websites or blogs the participants are going to post their updates as well. In the previous years it was a great thing to do as many participants provided very detailed posts on how they paint their chosen models.
2. Assembling and preparing the model - the first week is usually about assembling and preparing the model. The various kind of monsters usually require some time to prepare before painting starts. Then the first update will be posted on 8th March.
3. Painting Stage 1 - First week of painting will last until 15th March and often was about painting basic colors. The way you are organising your painting, however, is entirely up to you! This is just one way of doing so.
4. Painting Stage 2 - this stage will last until March 22nd and could be about adding more definition to the various parts of the model.
5. Painting Stage 3 - this is the last full week of March that ends on 29th. Hopefully, by this time the participants will be adding finishing touches, bases etc. to complete their models!
6. Final Update - just in case, I will wait for the final updates until 4th April so that I can post the summary of this year challenge on 5th April.
And that's pretty much it, it is that simple! Previous years were great fun and I was always greatly inspired by what participants provided every week.
I even managed to paint some models myself last year and I intend to do it again! I will let you know what I am painting when we start the challenge :)
Thanks for reading and I hope to see you in March!