Saturday 10 November 2018

Mortem et Gloriam - Game 15 - 2018/11/10

Hello!

The most recent battle of Mortem et Gloriam saw my Seleucids fighting against Romans, this time of a Foederate flavor, commanded by Paul against whom I have played before. It was, thus, kind of a rematch or another installment of our sport rivalry!

I have not yet had a chance to play this type of the Roman army so I was really curious what is it going to look like. My first impression was that I am about to play against cavalry heavy army and it looks like my Seleucids are quite outnumbered in that department. Here are the details:

Foederate Romans - Army List

Commanders

Army Commander - Talented Professional
Subordinate General 1 - Competent Professional
Subordinate General 2 - Competent Professional
Subordinate General 3 - Mediocre Professional

 
Camp

Camp - Formed Loose, Poor, Protected
TuGs

6 Legions Auxila - Infantry, Drilled Flexible, Superior, Protected, Short Spear, Darts, Experienced, Shield Cover 
6 Legions Auxila - Infantry, Drilled Flexible, Superior, Protected, Short Spear, Darts, Experienced, Shield Cover 
6 Legions Auxila - Infantry, Drilled Flexible, Average, Protected, Short Spear, Darts, Experienced, Shield Cover  
6 Legions Auxila - Infantry, Drilled Flexible, Average, Protected, Short Spear, Darts, Experienced, Shield Cover  

4 Upgraded Foederate Cavalry -  Cavalry, Formed Loose, Superior, Protected, Short Spear, Devastating Charger, Melee Expert
4 Upgraded Foederate Cavalry -  Cavalry, Formed Loose, Superior, Protected, Short Spear, Devastating Charger, Melee Expert
4 Equites - Cavalry, Drilled Loose, Superior, Protected, Short Spear, Javelin, Unskilled, Melee Expert
4 Equites - Cavalry, Drilled Loose, Superior, Protected, Short Spear, Javelin, Unskilled, Melee Expert
4 Foederate Cavalry - Cavalry, Formed Loose, Average, Protected, Short Spear, Javelin, Unskilled, Melee Expert 
4 Foederate Cavalry - Cavalry, Formed Loose, Average, Protected, Short Spear, Javelin, Unskilled, Melee Expert 
4 Foederate Cavalry - Cavalry, Formed Loose, Average, Protected, Short Spear, Javelin, Unskilled, Melee Expert  
4 Foederate Cavalry - Cavalry, Formed Loose, Average, Protected, Short Spear, Javelin, Unskilled, Melee Expert 

SuG's

6 Equites Saggittari - Cavalry, Skirmisher, Average, Unprotected, Bow, Experienced, Combat Shy 
6 Equites Saggittari - Cavalry, Skirmisher, Average, Unprotected, Bow, Experienced, Combat Shy

In fact, the number superiority was on the Romans' side and the army had a break point of 6. It posed a challenge where my slower and smaller force had to find a way to engage with mostly cavalry units. In addition, almost every regiment in the enemy army could shoot. That meant that catching them is even more difficult and before my units would get into any fight, they would most likely sustain some casualties.

I thus decided that trying to narrow the battle line with a coastal line would probably help me here. In addition, I would be able to place the camp closer to the flank in such circumstances. The heavy cavalry force would avoid my phalangites but if they get stuck in combat with the infantry for too long, that would open opportunities for the enemy horsemen to outflank my infantry. To prevent that from happening I intended to use my own units of cavalry. However, as there were only a few of these, I expected that slowing the enemy down is what I could achieve.

Here are the details of my list (as per BritCon spread sheet and higher price for pike armed units)

Seleucids - Army List

Commanders

Army Commander - Talented Professional
Subordinate General 1 - Talented Professional
Subordinate General 2 - Competent Professional
Subordinate General 3 - Mediocre Professional

 
Camp

Camp - Average, Protected
TuGs

8 Argyraspides - Infantry, Drilled Close, Superior, Protected, Pike, Shove
8 Phalangites - Infantry, Drilled Close, Average, Protected, Pike, Shove
8 Phalangites - Infantry, Drilled Close, Average, Protected, Pike, Shove
8 Phalangites - Infantry, Drilled Close, Average, Protected, Pike, Shove
6 Thracians - Infantry, Formed Loose, Average, Protected, Devastating Charger, Melee Expert

4 Companions - Cavalry, Drilled Loose, Superior, Protected, Charging Lancer, Melee Expert
4 Line Cavalry - Cavalry, Drilled Loose, Average, Protected, Charging Lancer, Melee Expert
4 Line Cavalry - Cavalry, Drilled Loose, Average, Protected, Charging Lancer, Melee Expert

SuG's

6 Tarentine Cavalry - Cavalry, Skirmisher, Average, Protected, Javelin, Experienced, Cantabrian
6 Horse Archers - Cavalry, Skirmisher, Average, Unprotected, Bow, Experienced, Cantabrian
9 Cretan Archers - Infantry, Skirmisher, Average, Unproteced, Bow, Skilled, Combat Shy

Pre-battle

We both had 8 PBS Map Cards so it was not easy to predict who is going to win this stage of the game. Paul chose to be invader and in the end we fought with coastal line and some terrain present. I would have preferred some more pieces but at least it was not empty battle line as sometimes is the case when I played against Arab conquest.

I also managed to out-scout Paul but only just so I could only see where his first 4 units would go. Thanks to the numerical superiority of the Roman army, it did not seem to be an advantage for Seleucids.

Deployment

Seleucids vs Foederate Romans.

Deployment of the Armies

The battle field was narrower but still empty and I had a feeling that this actually is beneficial to the Romans. I had a dilemma. I wanted to keep my own cavalry together to present a difficult formation for the enemy to break. But in doing so I most likely would need to play a refused flank. And that is a risk because with the speed of the enemy horsemen I may get outflanked too. On the other hand, if I spread the forces, any group on each wing would need to fight against numerically superior groups of units.

Initially I also positioned my Thracians on the left flank but when Paul deployed his cavalry in the rough terrain there, I knew they need some help. So much for my loose infantry occupying this terrain to either defend the flank or to threaten envelopment of the enemy formation. 

In the end I decided on the following. First, I would form two groups. Each would comprise of 2 TuG's of Phalangites, TuG of line cavalry and SuG of mounted skirmishers. Phalangites would be closer to the center of the battle line while cavalry would protect the flanks. The goal was to advance as fast as possible with the infantry and have cavalry help to protect the vulnerable flanks. 

I positioned Cretan Archers in the middle to protect them as well and be able to shoot at either enemy infantry to help the phalangites or at the cavalry if it was deployed there. Last but not least I placed Companions in the middle and decide to which side they would swing to help on one of the flanks. 

I was concerned with my right flank as it really looks as if I could not hold the units there with just one Line Cavalry and Horse Archers. I thought I really needed to get the Phalangites into melee with enemy infantry really fast, before the right flank is overwhelmed.

Another interesting element of the game that I learned about from the beginning, was that Paul had his army commander floating. I was very curious how would that help him with the maneuvers!

Romans - Turn 1

Turn 1 - Sequence of Actions.

Roman cavalry begins the outflanking maneuver.

As expected, Roman cavalry started with outflanking maneuvers. Seleucids responded by moving the infantry forward at a double, shifting towards the left flank as much as possible. They also contracted the battle line in a risky move that kept the army formation coherent but at the same time opened more space for the enemy on the right flank to maneuver.

While Terentines and Line Cavalry were getting ready to slow down the Roman horsemen opposing them, Companions moved fast towards the enemy formation in order to help on that flank and before Roman infantry would move into the range to assist too.

Who will get there first?

Seleucids - Turn 2

Turn 2 - Sequence of Actions.

Companions move to the flank.

The battle lines closed the distance again and units made fist attempts to engage the enemy on both flanks. On the left, Companions chased away one group of the Foederate Cavalry, while Romans did the same with Seleucid Horse Archers.

Seleucid Line Cavalry on both flanks moved in to force the enemy to commit to melee, avoiding some of the stronger opposition on the right.

Just before first combats

Romans - Turn 3

Turn 3 - Sequence of Actions.

Situation on the left flank

Seleucids committed the cavalry units on both flanks. On the left, Companions and Line Cavalry pushed hard against the Romans, destroying one unit and pursuing into fresh enemy. On the other side, Seleucid Lancers had a more challenging task to accomplish. They charged the Romans but another cavalry unit used the opportunity and threatened the flank of the Seleucids. However, well drilled Line Cavalry managed to break contact and withdraw to a more favorable position.

In the meantime, the infantry lines got even closer to each other and was about to lock horns soon too. It was about time as yet another cavalry unit of the Roman army was sneaking in between the gaps to the rear of the Seleucid formation.

More and more units get committed to the melee.

Seleucids - Turn 4

Turn 4 - Sequence of Actions.

Decisive moments of the battle.

Seleucids pressed their advantage on the left flank where Companions broke another unit of enemy cavalry. Terentines kept the last unit group from Roman formation busy too. 

Nearby Phalangites pushed hard against Roman Auxila and one unit broke through already. Surprisingly, the unit that started losing the fight was elite Silver Shields!

At the same time, Line Cavalry on the right fought bravely against two enemy cavalry units. Thanks to that the Phalangites still had time to potentially break through and reform to face the new threat. However, it was now up to Cretan and Horse Archers to hold advancing unit of Roman cavalry to prevent it from hitting the rear of the Phalanx.

Romans - Turn 5

Turn 5 - Sequence of Actions

Seleucids win on the left flank.

Roman Cavalry on the left flank suddenly found itself leaderless and completely confused. It allowed Seleucid Line Cavalry to catch them in that very dangerous moment and destroy them.

Companions and victorious Phalangites maneuvered to assist other fighting infantry units and it was clear the Roman Auxila is now in grave danger.

On the opposite flank the Roman Cavalry attempted to aid the infantry but Cretan and Horse Archers peppered charging unit with arrows and it never completed that attack. Although more Roman cavalry units managed to go to the back yard of the Seleucid formation, they were still too far to reach the Phalangites. 

Seleucids divert the units to meet enemies on the right.

Seleucids - Turn 6

Turn 6 - Sequence of Actions.

Companions charge the Auxila in the flank.

Seleucids pressed their advantage on the left where Companions and one of the Phalangite units flank or rear charged Roman Auxila still locked in melee.

Roman Cavalry also attacked on the right flank and brave Horse Archers were finally caught and destroyed. However, before Roman horsemen could do any damage, Companions routed another Roman unit and after that the army broke. 

Situation in the center of the battle field just before the Roman army broke.

Summary

Turn-by-turn animation summary

After-battle

Many thanks to Paul for a great game! I think it was a very close one even if the result does not reflect that. If only the cavalry on the right managed to engage with my units a bit earlier, things may have ended in Romans favor quickly.

I was obviously very happy with the result, especially that I did not expect it at all. I am glad I managed to utilize the speed and maneuverability of a drilled cavalry. Both, Companions on the left in order to help to win on that flank and Line Cavalry on the right that could disengage and keep on fighting in a more favorable circumstances.

I risked moving my infantry towards the center and this time it worked but I hope it is clear that if the Roman cavalry arrive turn earlier, I would have been in big trouble. I got quite lucky to rout the cavalry TuG on the charge with my shooters too but I am glad I managed to get them into the position where that was possible. 

The element I did not use well at all was TuG of Thracians but I always have problems when there is no terrain form them to use. Especially against cavalry in the open they may be easy target to break. 

During the discussion with Paul after the battle we concluded that he should have been more patient on my left flank. There was no need for him to rush towards my lines. It is also true about Auxila. Time in general was on Paul's side as he could afford to wait with one flank and center to allow massive cavalry wing to work its way around my units. I think I need to come up with the new plan now, as I am sure next time we play, these lessons will be implemented.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment