Sunday 20 August 2017

The Valley of Kings 3.1 - Introduction - 2017/08/20

Greetings!

It's been a while since the last tournament I took part in and even since I posted a report from any game of Kings of War. It was absolutely not planned and I am sorry I could not find a way to cut this break short earlier.

The good news, however, is that I have just attended another fantastic local tournament in Canberra, organized by a great TO Matt and hosted by awesome ThreeD6 guys! It was one day, 4 games event that this time attracted 24 players - the maximum numbers that could be hosted that day! What is more, in addition to great local gamers who tired their best to be there, we also had a strong contingent of players coming from interstates. 

It was absolutely fantastic and I hope that in the future there will be a chance to host even more players. As to the event itself, we played Clash of Kings 2017 version of the players pack so I had a chance to potentially play one of the new scenarios. Also historical armies were allowed but with fantasy version of the core rules (e.g. hills are not treated like a difficult terrain etc.)

For the full pack follow this link: The Valley of Kings 3.1 - Player's Pack

If you are interested in checking the scores, army lists and which factions were represented, please, follow this link: The Valley of Kings 3.1 - Results

As usual, I would like to present some introduction before I get to the detailed report from each battle.
Preparation

I actually had some time to paint more models and replace the older units with newly painted ones that I wanted to multibase. I am slowly doing that for the army so that eventually all the old units will be retired after years of battles. It also gives me an opportunity to unify the look of the army and move to multibasing for all the units in it.

I have worked on two units of Palace Guard/Swordmasters troops and I must say I am very happy with the overall effect. 

Quick photo of the most recently painted units.

That bring me to five units total that are painted in improved color scheme although not all of them are properly multibased yet.

Drakon Riders, Silver Breeze and Palace Guard.

I can't wait to start working on a new unit. It is always a bit hard to decide which one to go for but I think I have made up my mind already. I will post some updates when I have some WiP ready. In the meantime, this is how the Outcasts looked at the tournament:

The Outcasts at Valley of Kings 3.1

And here is my list for reference:

Outcasts - Army List

3 Drakon Riders, Regiment - 175
- 5 Silverbreeze, Troop - 145
- 5 Silverbreeze, Troop - 145
- Drakon Rider Lord, Hero, Large Cavalry, Brew of Haste - 175


3 Drakon Riders, Regiment - 175
- 5 Stormwind, Troops - 140
- 5 Stormwind, Troops - 140
 - Army Standard, Hero, Mounted - 65

3 War Chariots, Regiment, Maccwar’s Potion of the Caterpillar  - 160
 - Army Standard, Hero, Mounted - 65
 
20 Palace Guard, Regiment - 150 
- 10 Palace Guard, Troop - 105
 
20 Sea Guard, Regiment - 170
- 10 Palace Guard, Troop - 105
- Army Standard, Hero, Mounted, Lute of Insatiable Darkness - 85
The Games - Introduction

I played 4 games at 2000 points each and I had a great time playing against all my opponents! I hope they will like the reports and in the meantime, here are the deployments and army lists as a teaser before I post about each battle in more detail.

Game 1 - Matt - Dwarfs - Pillage

This time the archenemies met in the desert.

Deployment with Pillage Markers

Matt challenged me to play the first game and I happily accepted. We have played against each other twice already and it was great to continue the rivalry with yet another episode. What is more, I had an honor to play in a special room from which the games were live streamed! I hope there will be some links to the games that were played in it soon so that I can share them too.

Matt brought a new version of his army, which he affectionately called "Rocks, Brocks and Glocks", and here is why:

Dwarfs - Army List

6 Earth Elementals, Horde
- Organ Gun, War Engine
- Stone Priest, Hero
- Greater Earth Elemental, Monster

6 Earth Elementals, Horde
- Organ Gun, War Engine
- Berserker Lord, Mounted, Hero 

10 Berserker Brock Riders, Regiment
- 5 Berserker Brock Riders, Troops
- 5 Berserker Brock Riders, Troops
- Berserker Lord, Mounted, Hero


10 Berserker Brock Riders, Regiment
- Organ Gun, War Engine


Game 2 - Daniel - Ogres - Occupy

Deployment of the armies.
 
Deployment with objective markers indicated.

I have not had an opportunity to play against Daniel before so I was glad I could have a chance to play against a new player. Daniel brought tough as nails Ogres army that focused on smashing the enemy close and personally.

Ogres -Army List


6 Warriors, Horde
- Grokagamok, Hero
- Giant, Monster

6 Warriors, Horde
- Warlord, Hero 
- Giant, Monster

6 Warriors, Horde
- Red Goblin Blaster, Monster

6 Warriors, Horde
- Red Goblin Blaster, Monster 

6 Shooters, Horde


Game 3 - Kate - Forces of Basilea - Dominate

Armies ready for battle.

Deployment of both armies on the snowy battle field.

Kate is also an opponent I have never had an opportunity to play against. What is more she plays with iconic for Mantica army of the Forces of Basilea. I must say I am bit surprised this army is not more popular and I was very happy to play against it. The army was also composed from Mantic models.

Forces of Basilea - Army List

20 Paladin Knights, Horde
- High Paladin on Dragon, Hero
- Phoenix, Monster

6 Sisterhood Panther Chariots, Horde
- War-Wizard, Hero

6 Elohi, Horde
- War-Wizard, Hero

20 Foot Guard, Regiment

20 Men-at-Arms, Regiment


Game 4 - Ken - Trident Realms - Control

Deployment of the forces.

Battle for the Pond about to commence!

Ken is a veteran player from Queensland and happened to be down in Canberra for work but could spare some extra time to attend the tournament. He was not, however, playing with his usual Varangur army but thanks to Tas he played with Trident Realms instead! For me it was great opportunity to play against yet another player I have never played before and to play against wonderfully looking army painted by Tas again.
Trident Realms - Army List

40 Placoderms, Horde
- Trident King, Hero
- Leviathan's Bane, War Engine

6 Naiad Wyrm Riders, Horde
- Naiad Centurion, Hero
- Leviathan's Bane, War Engine

6 Depth Horrors, Horde
- Kraken, Monster

6 Water Elementals, Horde
- Coral Giant, Monster


As always, I am curious about your predictions (provided you have not checked the results yet :)). I will do my best to prepare the reports as soon as possible but I need to add that as we plan to play games each week to contribute to the global campaign that starts on Monday 21st August, I may have some delays.

Thanks for reading!


4 comments:

  1. The painting alone SM you are doing on your units is amazing. I've been lucky enough to see your models in person although that was years ago and the continual progress and personal development you achieve when it comes to your painting is amazing.

    I'm looking forward to reading about the upcoming battle reports my friend. I'm so glad you could make it along to the event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jimmy,

      Thanks a lot for your comment and kind words! I am very happy with that progress myself too. And I really enjoyed painting more miniatures again, this part of the hobby tends to be neglected often. My goal now is to use the experience I have accumulated to simplify the painting so that I can achieve the same effect but faster! And I hope to have a chance to showcase the new units to you at some stage again. :)

      It was fantastic to get back, especially for such a nice event with a great attendance. I am sure you will be able to play one of your favorite games in the local tournament soon too!

      Cheers!

      Delete
    2. Looking forward to the reports as ever and definitely continue to post progress on the army as they are looking fantastic.

      Delete
    3. Hi Knoffles! Thanks a lot! I will do my best to have some updates on both, the games and the models :)

      Delete